Raising a gifted child doesn’t necessarily require a lot of money or amenities. One of the most important things you can give your child is your time. There are plenty of reasons for this, but here are 10 of the most important ones.
1. They grow up too fast. It’s cliche, but true. In the blink of an eye, your little ones will be grown, with interests and friends and families of their own. You will never regret spending more time with your family. Seriously!
2. Involved parents mean better behaved kids. Studies have shown that children whose parents are involved in their lives are less likely to become delinquents. This doesn’t mean you need to spend every waking moment with your kids, but do make sure you know what is going on in their lives, and know when to help and let go.
3. Set a good example. When you spend time with your children, you are leaving a lasting impression. Keep in mind that children learn by example and what they see you doing during your time together will have a lasting effect. Use that to your advantage and spend the time teaching them good habits.
4. Bond with your kids. The parent-child relationship changes quite a bit over the years, so you’ll want to be present and spend time with your children early on so you can create and maintain that bond as they grow.
5. Kids need to be kids, too. Even if you’re raising a gifted child, it’s important to take a break sometimes and just have fun together. Your child is just that, a child, and deserves to have some fun, so does adult.
6. Love is best shown through quality time. It’s not even the amount of time you spend with your child, but the quality of it. Watching television together might be fun, but it’s hardly quality time. Make a point of talking over dinner or working on a project together.
7. Children seeking attention are disruptive. This sounds pretty negative and it is. Often, children will act out in an attempt to get attention if they aren’t given any otherwise. The fastest way to put an end to the whining and crying is to simply hug your little one and sit down to read together or just play.
8. You’ll see things from a new perspective. Let’s face it, time spent with children isn’t always about them. You can learn a lot from your children and you might be surprised at how they show you to see the world. It can be an eye opening experience for parents to simply sit and talk with their little ones.
9. Make memories. Creating memories is a very important part of raising children. Take the time to talk to your children and make their childhood special and they’ll remember it in years to come.
10. Your children will appreciate you more. It’s hard for a child to appreciate a parent who is rarely there, even if they are given everything. Far more valuable are those precious minutes that you spend with your child.
Time spent together doesn’t need to be carefully planned or particularly special. The important thing is that you take the time to get to know your child and to spend even a few minutes bonding with them. Love can go a long way, even if you aren’t rich financially.